How to Relax Your Dog Naturally During Fireworks (& Other Stressful Times)
Though the Boom! Crash! Bang! of fireworks can be a spectacular visual display of celebration for people, those same fireworks can also cause varying degrees of stress and fear in some dogs. Our dog Galileo is one of those dogs. Here’s how to naturally relax your dog during fireworks and other stressful times.
But First, Galileo…
Galileo has a complicated history, marked by severe abuse when he was a young puppy. When we first brought him home as a medical foster, he was 5 months old and he had several compression fractures in his lumbar spine, which left him completely lame in the hind legs.
He also had demodectic mange on his ears, around his eyes, face and feet. And- to add insult to injury- he had BBs lodged in his abdomen.
For the first month or so, he couldn’t reach his food or water bowls, so we had to lift these up so he could eat and drink. And since he was unable to use his hind legs, we had to carry him outside to go to the bathroom.
This educational post about fireworks safety and dogs is sponsored by Dr. Harvey's. I am being compensated to share my honest opinion and experiences with Dr. Harvey's Relax herbal supplement. I only share information that I believe in and feel is beneficial to deaf dogs and my readers. Dr. Harvey's is not responsible for the content of this article.
At 5 months old, he had experienced the worst of the world and it took weeks of patience to earn his trust. It then took several more months for him to learn that his new home was safe and to gain much-needed self-confidence.
He is now 6 years old and is happy, mobile and pain free. And though he no longer flinches or hides when he hears most loud, unexpected noises, he is still fearful when those fireworks begin to boom.
If you’re a regular reader, you know that I am a huge advocate for natural and holistic solutions for dog health and well-being whenever possible. So each year, in the days leading up to Independence Day and other holidays that are punctuated by those bright, colorful, exploding pyrotechnic displays in the sky, I turn to all-natural, chemical-free solutions to help keep Galileo relaxed and calm.
In addition to environmental support, such as aromatherapy and calming clothing, the foundation of my approach to “keep ‘em calm” is Dr. Harvey’s Relax herbal supplement.
5 Reasons Why I Depend On Dr. Harvey’s Relax Herbal Supplement.
1. It works! We’ve been using Relax for several years when it comes time for fireworks or other stressful events in Galileo’s life and I am always impressed by how well it works. I’ve seen it with my own two eyes and can confidently recommend it for any dog who needs support during fireworks or other stressful events.
2. It’s all-natural and free of chemicals, dyes, preservatives or synthetic ingredients of any kind.
3. It contains several herbs that are well known to provide holistic support and help calm a stressed, anxious or fearful dog. A few herbs I’d like to highlight are:
- Kava Kava Root: Kava kava reduces anxiety, relaxes tension (including muscle tension), and calms restlessness without loss of mental sharpness. Kava kava is a good herb of choice for a tense, nervous or anxious dog.
- Chamomile Flowers: Chamomile is a potent sedative used to reduce anxiety in stressed animals. It has the added advantage of calming your dog’s belly and helping him sleep.
- Valerian Root: Valerian root is a popular sedative and anti-anxiety herb for both humans and pets. If your dog will be undergoing a stressful event (think fireworks!) or trip, start administering it a few days days beforehand to get the most benefit..
- Skullcap: Skullcap is effective for relieving or preventing nervous tension.
4. It’s easy to administer- just add the right amount of scoops to your dog’s food and you’re done. Each container of Relax has dosing information right on the container. The amount given is based on your dog’s weight, so all you need to know is your dog’s current weight.
5.It’s safe for daily use. Over the years, I’ve learned that, with Galileo, Relax is most effective if I start adding it to his food a few days before those loud, crashing fireworks begin or even vet visits. Since Relax is safe for daily use, I know that Relax will only provide calming benefits, not harm, when given at the correct dose.
But Fireworks Aren’t The Only Stressful Events In A Dog’s Life.
In addition to fireworks, there are other times that dogs may suffer from stress or anxiety. Some of these include
- Road trips
- Car Rides
- Visits to the Vet
- Moving or Transitioning to a New Home
- Separation Anxiety
- Airplane Flights
Each dog has his own personality and anxiety level. By living with your dog, you know better than anyone what causes stress or fear in your dog’s life. With Dr. Harvey’s Relax herbal supplement, you can naturally and holistically help calm your dog during these stressful times.
Though some dogs may suffer from severe anxiety and stress and require medical intervention from your veterinarian, I suspect that the majority of dogs will benefit from an herbal supplement that contains calming herbs that will relax your dog.
If your dog is currently on any medication, it’s also a good idea to talk to your veterinarian before beginning any new herbal supplement. If your vet isn’t open to herbal supplements or holistic approach to good health, it may be time to look for a holistic or integrative veterinarian who will be more open and knowledgeable about the healing power of herbs! You can find one near you on the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association website.
I can recommend Relax by Dr. Harvey’s because we use it and we know it works! It also aligns with our desire to use holistic and natural products whenever possible.
If your dog experiences stress or fear during fireworks or other important life events, Relax may be the holistic solution you need!
And with Independence Day right around the corner, this is the perfect time to try it for yourself! Use my Ambassador Discount Code TGD1218 and enjoy a 10% discount off your entire order!