I recently received 3 bags of Tanker Tots treats, one in each flavor, in exchange for this honest review. I was not financially compensated and these opinions are completely my own. Tanker Tots is not responsible for any of this content
I’m a firm believer in the importance and benefits of high-quality nutritious food- for my dogs that is.
Personally, I eat like an anorexic frat boy. Burgers. Hot Pockets. Coffee by the bucket. And let’s not talk about the wine!
However, for the boys of Dog & His Boy, they only eat the best that I can provide. If I choose to live like a cardiac arrest waiting to happen, that is my choice. But the dogs in my life don’t have the luxury of choosing; they eat what I decide, when I decide and that’s that. Since I make so many decisions for Edison and Co., including something so basic as what they eat, I figure that the least that I can do is offer them quality and nutritious food and a tasty treat that also offers some health benefits.
Enter Tanker Tots.
Both of them overwhelmingly preferred the Sweet Potato Pie flavor, followed by the Cheddar Cheese and then the Peanut Butter and Banana flavors. I was a little surprised by this as Darwin usually turns his nose up at sweet potato anything and Edison is completely unpredictable with cheese, but they really seemed to enjoy snacking on these flavors of Tanker Tots. As expected, Foster and Galileo gulped any and all of them down then begged for more.
The texture and size was interesting and reminded me of an extra-crispy crouton. As I have large dogs, I’m accustomed to having larger treats, so this was an adjustment. One benefit of a smaller treat, though, is that I don’t have to break them into pieces during my frequent training sessions with our deaf dogs. Rather, I can pour some in my pocket, head to the park and work on a long-range stay or whatever deaf dog skill we’re mastering. For treats you give just because your dog is deliciously cute, Tanker Tots might be a little small for larger breed dogs.
Each 8oz bag of Tanker Tots costs only $5.00 plus shipping. You can easily order online through the Tanker Tot website or through their Facebook page. For a blogger who is on social media nearly all the time, ordering on Facebook is super convenient. I do wish they offered larger size bags, though. I have four hairy beasts weighing a combined total of 320 pounds, so I will go through 8oz very quickly. However, for normal people with a normal number of normal size dogs, 8oz should be plenty. Remember, they are small treats so you get a lot of Tots in an 8oz bag.
- Tanker Tots are made with very limited ingredients. Of the three varieties we tested, two were made with a total of 5 ingredients (cheddar cheese and sweet potato pie) and one was made with 6 (peanut butter and banana). Unexpectedly, each one contained millet.
- Tanker Tots are made with only a natural preservative, Vitamin E. In addition to being a completely natural food preservative, Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant and supports healthy skin and coat.
- The Tots are small, which is great for training rewards. A handful easily fits in your pocket without being bulky.
- The price is very reasonable at $5.00 a bag. This is a real bargain when you consider the quality is high, the Tots are made to order and that the ingredients are human-grade with real health benefits (sweet potatoes, cinnamon, Vitamin E and bananas are all good for your dog).
- Edison and Co. really seemed to like them! In the end, this is the ultimate test and Tanker Tots won the day.
While I don’t have any real complaints about Tanker Tots, I do have a few things I’d add to my wish list.
- Offer a larger size bag. I wish I could order a 16oz or larger size bag. This isn’t a deal breaker, but it would be a nice option.
- The Tots are small. Yes, I both like and dislike the size of the tots. For training purposes, I think the size is perfect. For those “just because I love you” treats for larger breed dogs, I wish there was a large-breed size available.
If you’re interested in trying a new kind of treat for your dogs, definitely look into Tanker Tots. They also offer Pup Cakes and Birthday Cakes. Tanker Tots also offers a free recipe on their website for making pill dough. What a great customer service gesture and a great way to easily administer medication to your dogs. The money you save on commercial pill treats can be used to buy a few bags of Tanker Tots!
I definitely recommend Tanker Tots for someone who wants a quality, limited-ingredient treat that their dog will enjoy. If you do order some Tanker Tots, please tell them that Dog & His Boy sent you. I’m sure that will get you the red carpet treatment.
I recently received 3 bags of Tanker Tots treats, one in each flavor, in exchange for this honest review. I was not financially compensated and these opinions are my own. Tanker Tots is not responsible for any of this content.